[N&W] Re: Question on Y6a Tenders - Part 2

Tue May 4 22:18:10 EDT 2004

Ed King comments:

Ron - I don't think it is correct that the Y-6s and Y-6as had roller
bearings in the old friction journal boxes.  That was before the days of
the use of adaptors for that purpose, with "twirler" roller bearings.  When
the trucks were converted, the entire round roller bearing boxes were used
with adaptors in the friction bearing pedestals, except for the center
wheel of the Buckeye trucks.   When built, A # 1200 had roller bearing
tender trucks in friction bearing boxes with lids, but that was a 1936
adaptation of the technology (that comes from Art Bixby).  We're talking
about a practice here that started after World War II. The "twirler" roller
bearings didn't become common until the early '60's.

EdK