[N&W] Pullman 12-1s

Tue May 4 22:21:30 EDT 2004

Jeff Cornelius asks:

I'm trying to get more information on the Pullman 12-1s used before the
streamlined 10-6s replaced them in N&W service. From Vern French's N&W:
Williamson Terminal book I have a list of 21 names (Abingdon to Wytheville)
including eight that were purchased by N&W. The N&W Handbook by Wallace and
Wiley says they ran in N&W colors. I'm interested in confirmation of that (and
what exactly that means) along with information about interior colors and when
and where they left N&W. Were they still used to supplement the 10-6 cars, or
on other trains?

Also, I would appreciate any advice on corrections to the Rivarossi
heavyweight 12-1 car and interior for these cars.

-----
Rick Stone replies:

The last timetable before the arrival of the 10-6's (Sept 26, 1948)
shows 12-Section, 1-Drawing Room (Standard Sleepers) running between:
	New York to Roanoke	Norfolk to Chicago	Roanoke to Cleveland
	Norfolk to Roanoke	Richmond to Bristol	Richmond to Roanoke
	New York to Knoxville	New York to Shreveport	Washington to Roanoke
	Washington to Memphis	Bristol to Nashville	Knoxville to Memphis
	Chattanooga to Memphis  (The last 5 are probably SR cars, but you can
never be sure about pool cars)

That means there were 26 standard sleepers on the railroad at one time.

The last line for a 12-1 sleeper was Bristol to Richmond until Jan 6,
1957 cut back to Bristol to Petersburg April 28, 1957 on June 30, 1957
it was replaced by a 10-2-1 sleeper.

The 2410 and 3410 floor plan standard sleepers were basically the same
but many details were variable. The biggest change is that the 26 lines
here were all air conditioned cars, the Rivarossi model is not.  I don't
have much information about the paint would be likewise interested in
color photos of these cars.

Stony

-----
Bob Chapman answers:

Jeff -- re your second question, the key things you will likely want to do to
a Rivarossi is add roof A/C ducts, replace the end panels on one end, modify
the profile where the end meets the roof, completely replace the underbody
detail, and add details such as grabs, diaphragms, etc. The interior is your
call -- many modelers only put crude partitions into the corrider areas, since
the small windows of these cars prevents much appreciation of their interiors
unless lighted. I have done several 12-1's and other configurations using the
Rivarossi car as a starting point; the projects were fun, and resulted in good
models. They are cheaper than brass, and light enough for your engine to pull
more than two of them.

There are a number of good sources on how to do this. Most recently, Pat Wider
in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia covered Rivarossi 12-1 modifications in its
Vol 1 and Vol 2. This mag (or should I say book?!) tends to be pricey at
$20/per, but the coverage is good and well illustrated.

Several years ago Robert Zenk in Mainline Modeler did a 5-part series on
heavyweight Pullmans and how to model them using Rivarossi. The issues are
1/81, 3/81, 5/81, 7/81, and 9/81. The coverage of underbody detail is
especially good.

Vic Roseman did a similar good series in Railmodel Journal, again focused on
Rivarossi. The issues are 10/97, 2/98, 3/98, 6/98, 8/98, and 10/98.

Another option is to wait to see if someone brings out an improved 12-1. There
have been many rumors along this line for many years involving many different
manufacturers. The latest last winter had Branchline introducing some this
spring (now re-rumored to be MUCH later, but perhaps within our lifetimes!)
While there would be a great market for this type of car (those nice Proto
2000 E's gotta pull something!), I'm still at the "show me" point, and in the
meantime am getting nice use and fun from my modified Rivarossi's.

Hope this helps,

Bob Chapman