[N&W] Class HR Coal Hoppers

Tue May 4 22:22:04 EDT 2004

Scott Reed asked:

Does anyone know how many HR class coal hoppers N&W rostered?

-------
Ed Painter Jr answers:

Scott,
The "N&W Coal Car Book" shows one Class HR in the Coal Car Fleet
starting in 1918 through 1942, inclusive.  Only one was built.  Pages 76
and 77 have information and drawings of the car.  It should make
modeling pretty easy in that you would only need one car!!  Not too many
N&W Hoppers fall into this catagory!!!

My personal desire is for someone (maybe the Society?.....hint..hint) to
produce prototype H-2's, H-2a's and/or H-10's.  If they could be
obtained, I'd go for 50 to 100 of them. They're my favorites along with
HL's and H-9's.

-------
Jim Gillum replies:

According to Andrew Dow's book, there was only one HR built; No. 70564.  Was
taken out of service in 1951!

-------
Rick Stone:

The good news or bad news depending on how you look at it is, you don't
need a big fleet of HR hoppers.  According to Roy Hurlburt's article in
the Jul-Aug 1985 issue of the newsletter the N&W only built one HR,
70564.  It was built in 1917 and scrapped in 1941.

Stony

-------
Jim Brewer counsels:

Scott,

You're right; if you ordered the N&W Coal Cars book from the Commissary you
would already know the answer.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you
will now order the book, I looked in my copy and determined there was only
one car in Class HR; by the way, the Westerfield kit builds into an
excellent model of this car.

Now order that book!

Jim Brewer