[N&W] Re: New River Bridge at Glen Lyn

Tue May 4 22:51:53 EDT 2004

Galen Gallimore asked:
 >Are there any drawings available of the New River Bridge at Glen Lyn?
 >I.E. it's dimensions, location, design specs, etc.  Also, are there any
 >topographic maps available from 1900-1950's for the surrounding region?

--------------------
I have two references to offer to you. The December 14, 1906 issue of
Railway Age contained a six page article on the construction of the
Tidewater-Deepwater Railway, which was the corporate predecessor of the
Virginian. This article includes some overall dimensions of the bridge and
specific dimensions of the concrete piers. If you don't have access to this
journal, send me your mailing address and I'll send you a copy.

The second thing I can recommend is to get in contact with a fellow named
Mike Dodd. He is building a model of this bridge and has done quite a bit
of research on it. He may be able to give you some assistance. He has a web
page describing his layout at
http://www.mindspring.com/~mdodd/vgn_frame.htm .
-Marty Swartz