[N&W] Re: Fuel or Water stops?

Thu May 6 22:30:21 EDT 2004

[Charles Eck asked:]
How often would a through train, for example the Pocahantas with a class J,
stop for water or fuel?

In 1954,  Trains magazine did an article on N&W steam.  As I recall they
traced the weekly cycle of a J locomotive and it was interesting to see
that sometimes the loco would run all the way through from Norfolk to
Cincinnati without change.  But in a week's time, more often than not, an
engine change took place in Roanoke.  Sometimes, an engine had less than
two hours to go through servicing before heading out again to practically
any point on the system.  This could include a run as short as to Monroe
(Lynchburg) on one of the Southern trains. I have that magazine; I just
have to find it.  I'll see what I can extract from it.  As far as running
distances before needing fuel and water, maybe Ed King can answer that.  My
best guess is that passenger trains took advantage of the coaling and
watering facilities that straddled the main line in some locations.  There
were watering standpipes at some of the passenger stations also.

Rick Morrison