[N&W] Re: N&W's Longest Train

Thu May 6 22:44:12 EDT 2004

 >I'm curious ... is there approximately one foot of slack per car?

Yep, Bob.  We figured one foot per car - that's cars not equipped with
end-of-car cushion underframes, of course.

EdKing

After turning my basement upside down I finally found the article from the N&W
magazine. It was in the January, 1968 issue. Also, Railway Age had a full page
writeup of the trip in their November 27, 1967 issue. The trip was not
spontaneous
since, in addition to the Railway Age writer, there was also one from the
Roanoke
World-News. In addition to those previously mentioned, gang leader Don Mayberry
and general air brake inspector John Marcroft were also on board.
Dick Fisher