[N&W] Re: Hagerstown

Thu May 6 22:56:08 EDT 2004

Hello Frank,

I have a number of resources of likely interest to you re the N&W at
Hagerstown.  I researched the railroads of the Hagerstown vicinity while I
lived in the area from 1991-1995.  Jim Cochran and I found the foundations
of the engine house mentioned by Rick Morrison.  When I was living in the
area, the south side of the wye was still in place and used by the
Winchester & Western for interchange.  Hager Tower and the crossing are
long gone.

I did most of my research in the Washington County Free Library, Western
Maryland Room (WCFL and WMR hereafter), and the Washington County
Historical Society (WCHS hereafter), both in Hagerstown.  I also used
Hagerstown city and Washington County survey maps.

City Directories in the WMR were useful.  "Polk's Hagerstown City Directory
1937-38," "--1950," "--1961," "--1965," and "--1970," all list the N&W and
PRR Co./Penn-Central freight depots at 265 W. Church Street.  To 1961, the
directories listed the passenger station for "both" railroads at 14 S.
Walnut Street.

I make references below to a church that is at Walnut and Antietam
Streets.  Because the church is still there, it is a great landmark for
orienting yourself, either when visiting or viewing photographs.  This
church shows in many old photographs and can be seen clearly from the
raised Burhans Blvd. where the boulevard overpass crosses the now-empty
space (where the CVRR/PRR, etc., track used to run) adjacent to the former
Hager Tower.

To organize this, the general categories of leads that I have for you are
maps and photos.  First, maps:

WCHS, Map #80.  "Map of Hagerstown," J. B. Ferguson and Co. Engineers (c)
1927, reverse sepia, 1":300'.  Shows both Shomo yard with 12 tracks and the
6-track PRR yard between Hager Tower and W. Antietam Street.

WCHS, Map #79.  "Map of Hagerstown," J. B. Ferguson and Co. Engineers, (c)
1948.  Shows the engine house and tracks to the west-southwest of the Hager
Tower junction.  The engine house is shown adjacent to the wye, slightly to
the west and north.

WCHS, Map #17.  "Hagerstown," 1914, Maryland Geological Society,
vellum.  Shows [Shomo] yard with seven tracks and labeled "new."  The yard
existing between Hager Tower and W. Antietam Street is labeled N&W R.R. and
C.V.R.R..

WCHS, Map #91.  "Map of Hagerstown & Suburbs," J. B. Ferguson and Co., (c)
6-1-1913, vellum, 1":200'.  Doesn't show Shomo yard, but for the 6-tracks
between Hager Tower and W. Antietam Street, the west side is labeled
"Norfolk & Western" and the east: "Cumberland Valley R.R. Co."

Hagerstown City maps, Department of Assessments and Taxation, Property Map
Division, Allen Blank, cartographer:

     #312, parcels 1201 and 1202, shows vicinity of Hager Tower.

     #309, parcels 2221, 2229 1 of 2, and 2229 2 of 2, shows vicinity north
of Hager Tower to Church Street and the [presently] CSXT yard to west.

     #310, parcels 601, 666, 665, 602-3, 659, and 660, shows the NS yard
north throat, continuing on #312.

     #308, shows North Tower.

Hagerstown County maps (again I don't remember which offices; my research
was interrupted here):

     #49, shows vicinity of Hager Tower; Western Maryland shops, yard; NS
[N&W] yard to Downsville Pike.

     #57, shows the remainder of the NS [N&W] yard to I-70.

Photographs.

1) In the stacks at WCFL, see three volumes by Carroll F. Spitzer: A
Pictorial History of Steam Railroads of the Tri-State Area, Hagerstown, MD:
Tri-State Printing, Inc., 1987; A Pictorial History of Steam Railroads of
the Tri-State Area Book #2, Hagerstown, MD: Tri-State Printing, Inc., 1987;
A Pictorial History of Steam Railroads of the Tri-State Area Book #3,
Hagerstown, MD: Tri-State Printing, Inc., 1988.

     In [Book #1], see pages 128, 135-37, for photos of the engine house
and coaling tower, some showing N&W locomotives; and some closer shots of
engine stalls.

     In Book #2, see pages 65, 67, 75, for photos of a K-1 approaching the
engine house, a K-2 with train at the passenger station, and a Y-6 near the
Shomo yard north throat.

     In Book #3, on page 73 is a photo of a PRR locomotive at the engine house.

2) In the WMR, see a book titled Wings Over Hagerstown: Western Maryland's
Gateway to the South, Richard H. Alvey, III, Hagerstown, MD: 1939.  Photos
on pages 6, 10, 27, 32, 34, and 42 give useful perspective.

3) Paul J. Westhaeffer, History of the Cumberland Valley, Ephrata, PA:
Washington D.C. Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, 1979.  Pages
260, 270, and 276, respectively, show:

     A) ca. 1915 view of North Junction with N&W cars in foreground;
     B) ca. 1910 north-looking view of the Hagerstown yard [the one between
Hager Tower and W. Antietam Street] and passenger station; and,
     C) ca. 1918 south-looking view, otherwise same as "B."

4) see the WCHS vertical file for these photographs:

     "The Daily Mail," Hagerstown, MD, June 16,1976; a good photograph of
the coaling tower.

     "The Daily Mail," Hagerstown, MD, Nov. 17, 1960; article, "Where
Tracks Used To Run," shows the PRR station (with the church in background)
at Walnut and Antietam Streets.

     Another "Daily Mail" photo item, July 29, 1967, "Old Railroad Station
Reflects Local History," shows essentially the same view as the Nov. 17,
1960, article's photo, including the church, and shows the tracks.

5) And, finally, O. Winston Link's Steam, Steel, and Stars (New York: Harry
N. Abrams, 1987), shows Hager Tower in photographs on pages 39 and
45.  (Map analysis reveals that the caption of the page 45 photo to be in
error regarding the origin of the locomotive.)

Good luck with your research Frank, I hope that these items may be useful
to you,

Best regards,

Steve Koppe
5308 S. Palm Drive