[N&W] Re: Lexington, VA

Tue May 18 22:37:48 EDT 2004

Stroke of luck or coincidence!  Last night I received the book "Rails
Remembered---Vol. 3" by Louis M. Newton.  Although mainly a chronicle of an
N&W railroader and his experiences on the N&W, the author describes in one
chapter a trip he made by mixed train on the C&O Lexington branch in
1951.  It provides a lot of the information I was seeking on the C&O
branch, the B&O Valley line, and the N&W from Glasgow to Buena Vista.
Yes, the book mentions an article ("All Day to Lexington") in the summer
1991 issue of the "Washington & Lee Alumni Magazine" by Charles Castner on
the Richmond & Alleghany and the Valley Railroad.  I'll have to get a copy.
By the way, Mason Cooper mentions in his book on the Shenandoah line that
the N&W (or its Shenandoah Valley predecessor) bought 8 miles of the R&A
(roughly from Buena Vista south).   I'm beginning to suspect that some maps
(such as the 1891 inside-cover fold-out map in Cooper's book) are incorrect
showing the C&O Lexington Branch traversing from Balcony Falls directly to
Loch Laird.  The actual C&O connection was at Glasgow to get on N&W
trackage up to Loch Laird.

Dennis Hogan