[N&W] Re: In-Print Diesel References

Tue May 18 22:43:53 EDT 2004

Jeff;

The best reference are the Withers & Bowers books.  You can still find them at
train shows.

The N&W did not buy any torpedo boat GP9, but did get some in the '64 merger.
NKP 477 to 485 (and maybe not 483 ??)  became N&W 2477 to 2485.  Wabash 484-489
and 493-495 which became N&W 3484 - 3489 and 3493 to 3495.  They to the best of
my understanding were all phase II units (four 36" fans)  none had dynamic
brakes.

Have fun
Nigel
_____________________________
  The two standard references for N&W diesels are, of course, N&W First and
Second Generation Diesels by Withers Publishing about 10 years ago. The 2nd
Gen book shows up at train shows fairly often in my experience (in Virginia
anyway), but the 1st Gen book seems to be notably more scarce for some reason.
Withers may have some copies of 2nd Gen laying around, and it's worth a shot
to ask about 1st Gen. Even so, you can probably pick them both up if you look
around some- train shows, magazine ads, and taking a look at www.abebooks.com
might net you something. It took me about three years to track down the 1st
Gen book, but I did manage to get it about a year ago.

 >I would appreciate any recommendations on books that are still available,
 >especially as I have a number of undecorated locomotives that I would like
 >to paint and decal.  I have also come into possession of an undecorated EMD
 >GP-9 with Torpedo Tubes and I'm trying to decide if its worth keeping and
 >painting/decaling for use in my N&W layout.

  That would work for 3484-3489 and 3493-3495, ex-Wabash passenger GP9s.

David Thompson
_________________________
 >I have also come into possession of an undecorated EMD
 >GP-9 with Torpedo Tubes and I'm trying to decide if its worth keeping and
 >painting/decaling for use in my N&W layout.

OK, diesel nuts.  Would it make a Wabash passenger GP - 3490 series?  Of
course the Wab engines didn't have dynamic brake, but you didn't say if your
model had them . . .

 >Thank you - I appreciate your patience with someone who is new to the study
 >and modelling of the N&W.

Hey, Jeff.  We were all new, once.

I still am.

- Antoine Gazenga, writing for The Ol' Curmudgeon
____________________________________
[Marty Swartz wrote:]
>I'm a bit puzzled. I can't speak for "Commissary Czar" Bob Bowers,
>but I would very surprised if "many" of the
>books listed in the Commissary sheets are out of print. The
>Commissary sheets are updated quarterly: there's no purpose in
>listing items that are not available!
>What particular titles are you looking for?

An understandably so - I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  Its not
the books listed on The Commissary pages that are OOP, but the books
referenced in the page on N&W history with bibliography at the bottom of
the page, notably the 2 volumes on N&W diesels by Withers & Bowers.  I
apologize if I offended you with my mis-statement.

Jeff Hancock