[N&W] Re: Tipple Operations

Tue May 25 16:52:40 EDT 2004

Growing up in the coal fields of the C&O, N&W, and Virginian, I'll
state what I remember about typical tipples.  "Typical" - in that
tipples had an "empties section" of tracks, switches, and hoppers -
which were fed through the tipple to be loaded - and then a "loaded
section" - consisting of more tracks, switches, and loaded hoppers.

If such a tipple were on a stub or spur, there was a "run around"
track - where the empties could be spotted - and then they went to
the loaded section - and made up the train.

If the tipple was located along the main line - there may or may not
be a run-around-track.

For this typical tipple operation, there was sometimes one train per
tipple.  Tipples had to be small if a train was to go to more than
one.

Most tipples in the southern coal fields of West Virginia, served by
the C&O, N&W, and Virginian - were of this "typical" size.  For
modeling purposes, it takes up some room, but that's prototype.

...Kim Hensley