[N&W] Re: VT&G Airline

Tue May 25 16:59:58 EDT 2004

 >Recently, when going through an antique store in SW Virginia, I saw a
 >railroad map dated 1881 which showed the Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia
 >Airline connecting with the N&W at Bristol, VA.  It looked like the route of
 >the VT&G A/L followed approximately the route of the Southern from Bristol to
 >Chattanooga and on to Memphis.
  This subject came up on the SMRF list a while back. The VT&G was a "marketing
alliance" for through freight service that dated back to just before the War of
Various Names, originally involving the Virginia & Tennessee (N&W), East
Tennessee & Virginia (SOU), Nashville & Chattanooga (NC&StL), and Memphis &
Charleston (SOU). The service survived under that name to around the end of
the 1800s, the name probably being dropped around the time of the Southern
merger. The VT archives have a photo of a N&W car lettered for VT&G at
[http://scholar2.lib.vt.edu/imagebase_new/norfolksouthern/full/NS2860.jpeg].

David Thompson