[N&W] Re: Report on Flooding in Mullens WV

Mon May 31 14:27:32 EDT 2004

I'm very saddened by the news about the flooding in Mullens. I spent a lot
of time in the town when I was young. My mother's step - Aunt and Uncle
lived there (Bill and Mary Staats, he was principal of the high school and
later mayor) and my family always spent Christmas with them. In my memory
Mullens remains a happy place with new - fallen snow and a bustling little
downtown, the Woolworth packed with Christmas shoppers, not the half -
abandoned town it was when I last saw it 5 or 6 years ago. Uncle Bill once
took me down to the Motor Barn and I clearly recall getting to sit in the
engineer's seat of a locomotive. Since that was perhaps 1960 I'd like to
think it may have been an ex VGN EL-C or Trainmaster. Does anyone know if
there's a Mullens relief fund to which I could contribute?

     - Rob Doorack