[N&W] Signals

Mon May 31 14:43:14 EDT 2004

I have several questions about N&W signals and perhaps signals in general
that I hope will stir some detailed answers/discussion.

1.  What was the manufacturer(s)/make(s)/model(s) for the semaphore signals
that predated the position light signals on the N&W?

2.  What was the manufacturer(s)/make(s)/model(s) for the position light
signals on the N&W?

3.  Can anyone point me to good references on placement of signals either
in general or N&W specific?  The sort of thing I'm looking for is why the
RR put signals where they did and what type of signal would be placed at
what type of track configuration.

In trying to place signals on an N&W layout someday, it seems that to "get
it right" you would either have to have photographs of the section you are
modeling which show the track/signal arrangement (which would be difficult
if not impossible in some cases), or else you'd need to know that if you
put in, for example a crossover from one main to the other, you need X, Y,
and Z, types of signals placed at positions A, B, and C.  These "rules for
signal placement" are the types of information I'm looking for and
hopefully it resides either in printed form or in the heads of some of our
readers.
Adthanksvance,
Jim Cochran