[N&W] Re: Jawn Henry

Mon May 31 14:55:28 EDT 2004

The wheel configuration was 6-6-6-6 on the engine. Anything else?
Ron Wilkinson (NWHS Member)
The correct wheel arrangement for Jawn Henry is: C-C + C-C. The four trucks
were paired via span bolsters vs. each being independent in some way; hence
the use of - and + to describe this arrangement.

Jerry Crosson
Yes, Gary, that is the correct way to show its wheel arrangement, although
it probably should be C-C+C-C, since it had two span bolsters, with two
6-wheel trucks under each span bolster. Under the Wythe system, it would be
called an 0-6-6-6-6-0. All axles were powered. Jim Nichols
C+C+C+C is correct, Garry. Jawn had four six-wheel trucks, all axles
powered.
EdKing
Garry,
C+C+C+C is the wheel arrangement for JAWN. Though technically a steam
locomotive, JAWN had electric traction motors like a Diesel Electric and so
the wheel arrangement is designated the same way Diesels are and not like a
typical steam engine. For traction motors, a letter designates the number
of powered axles on the truck and numbers the number of un-powered axels.
So Jawn had 4 three axle trucks with all three axles powered on each truck.
An engine with two four wheel trucks with all axels powered would be a B+B
and one with two 6 wheel trucks with all axles powered would be a C+C. On
the other hand, if the center axle on the 6 wheel trucks was an idler
(un-powered) it would be designated A1A+A1A. Personally I think JAWN should
be listed as a 6-6-6-6, but that's just me 8^).

Harry Wilkens
Jawn Henry was Road No 2300; Class TE-1; 6-6-6-6 Wheel Argt;
Builder: Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton-Westinghouse Electric;
Built date, 1954; Construction No: 75911; Steam pressure: 600 psi;
Weight: 818,000 Lbs, without tender: and Scrapped: 12-1957.

Bob Stockner