[N&W] Re: Jawn Henry

Mon May 31 14:57:02 EDT 2004

I want to thank Gordon Hamilton for the indepth and educational review of
the different wheel arrangement designation systems available for the Jawn
Henry.  I cannot add to the different designations, but I can give what the
N&W classified this locomotive.

I went to my copy of a Locomotive Classifiaction Booklet that the railway
issued in 1957.  It has no designation for the locomotive class, but gives
the wheel arrangement as "CC-CC" under the heading of "A.A.R. Symbol."  In
the railway's locomotive disagram booklet, the N&W headed the page of the
Jawn Henry diagram as "6-6-6-6 COAL FIRED, STEAM TURBINE , ELECTRIC DRIVE
LOCOMOTIVE".

Regardless of what designation systems were available to be used, the N&W
used 6-6-6-6 as its official designation.  From a historical standpoint,
that is what we need to refer to the Jawn Henry as.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: Jawn Henry

 > There have been differing suggestions posted about the proper wheel
 > arrangement designation for N&W
 > steam-turbine-electric locomotive 2300 (Jawn Henry), so I want to add my
two
 > cents (I apologize for my delay on this, but I have been out of town for
 > eleven days in the past two or three weeks).  The most authoritative
source
 > on locomotive wheel arrangement designations that I have available is the
 > 1956 (15th Edition) Locomotive Cyclopedia, and the following  information
 > has been extracted from it.
 >
 > It might be helpful to start with conventional steam locomotives.  Page
519
 > of the Cyclopedia explains the scheme of the   familiar Wythe system for
 > designating steam locomotive wheel arrangements, such as 2-6-6-4 for an
N&W
> [...]
 > For example, the book, The Steam Locomotive in America by Alfred W. Bruce
 > (W.W.Norton & Co., 1952) uses the American Locomotive system
 > because Bruce was an engineering official with that company.  That
company's
 > systems was like the Wythe expect it omitted the minus signs and added the
 > letters C for a compound, a S for superheated and T for tank engine, as
well
 > as figures to denote the weight to the nearest 1k lb.  So, a N&W Class A
 > would have been a 2664 S 573 to the American Locomotive Company.  In
 > addition to the Wythe and American Locomotive systems, the Cyclopedia
lists
 > other systems used by the
 > Lima Locomotive Works, the Baldwin Locomotive Works, as well as the French
 > System, and the German or Continental System.
 >
 > Now about the 2300.  Pages 40 and 41 of the Cyclopedia give the AAR
standard
 > system of nomenclature for axle and truck arrangements of locomotives
having
 > electric transmissions, which includes the 2300.  The AAR standard system
 > (Manual F-103) was adopted in 1932 and revised in 1949.  As is commonly
 > known, letters are used to represent the number of powered axles in a
truck,
 > i. e., a C would represent one three-axle truck with all axles powered, or
 > four C's would represent the
 > four three-axle trucks under the 2300 using the AAR system.  Less commonly
 > known is the proper use of minus and plus signs in combination with the
 > letters.  The AAR standard states, in part,  that + signs are used to
 > indicate articulated joints between trucks under a single locomotive and
 > minus signs are used to indicate separation between swivel type trucks,
not
 > articulated.  Because neither the swivel trucks nor the span bolsters
under
 > the 2300 were articulated, I believe the designation for the 2300 under
the
 > AAR system would be C-C-C-C.  On Page 444 of the Cyclopedia, however, the
 > 2300 is pictured, and the wheel arrangement is given as 6-6-6-6.  Louie
 > Newton, who is about to go to press with his book on the 2300, confirms
that
 > this latter designation is the one commonly used rather than the AAR
system.
 > But, if the AAR system is cited, it is important to use the plus and minus
 > signs correctly.
 >
 > For a final example of the AAR system, consider the Virginian EL-2B
electric
 > locomotive, each unit of which had four two-axle non-articulated trucks
and
 > two span bolsters which WERE articulated.  A General Electric brochure
 > (Ry-24241-A, 8-47) on the EL-2B clearly shows the articulation between the
 > span bolsters and designates the wheel arrangement of each unit as
B-B+B-B,
 > the plus sign indicating the articulated joint between the span bolsters.
 >
 > Gordon Hamilton

B+B
 >  > and one with two 6 wheel trucks with all axles powered would be a C+C.
On
 >  > the other hand, if the center axle on the 6 wheel trucks was an idler
 >  > (un-powered) it would be designated A1A+A1A. Personally I think JAWN
 > should
 >  > be listed as a 6-6-6-6, but that's just me 8^).
 >  >
 >  > Harry Wilkens
 >  > __________________________________________________________
 >  > Jawn Henry was Road No 2300; Class TE-1; 6-6-6-6 Wheel Argt;
 >  > Builder: Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton-Westinghouse Electric;
 >  > Built date, 1954; Construction No: 75911; Steam pressure: 600 psi;
 >  > Weight: 818,000 Lbs, without tender: and Scrapped: 12-1957.
 >  >
 >  > Bob Stockner
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > N&W Mailing List wrote:
 >  >  > HI, WHAT WAS THE WHEEL CONFIGURATION OF THE JAWN HENRY LOCOMOTIVE?
IN
 >  >  > THE ARTICLE ON LINE THAT I WAS READING IT IS LISTED AS: C+C+C+C.
THANKS