[N&W] VGN Terminal

Mon May 31 15:03:30 EDT 2004

Over the past week everyone mournfully spoke of the old Virginian depot
burning down. To me, when someone say something burned down, I vision a
building brought down to rubble. After viewing the photos provided by Jim
Blackstock, I'd say the old Virginian depot is along way from gone. Sure
part of the roof is gone, sure part of the inside is gone, but the building
as a whole is standing and looks in pretty good shape in spite of the fire.
Today, with modern construction techniques, anything can be rebuilt back to
original specifications if so desired.

Who says people and a city don't get a second chance? By the looks of it,
this is it. Instead of tearfully morning the "Old Virginian Depot" and the
end of an era, now is the time for action! Before they really do tear the
old building down and it is gone forever. The city or Roanoke, the N&S, the
N&W Historical Society, N&W enthusiasts, and fans of the Virginian railway,
should rally to the cause and come up with the funding to repair/save the
old depot. That is if that's what everyone really wants. It's easy for
everyone to set back and say such fine things as I can't believe it's gone,
It will be missed, What ever happened to, You mean it only exists in
pictures. But talk doesn t feed the bulldog! I remember reading, in this
forum, that a Virginian Railway Museum doesn't exist; perhaps there is hope
for one yet.

So before it's truly gone and we are really left saying, I can't believe
it's gone, It will be missed, etc, lets put our money and efforts were our
mouths are and try to save this depot. And yes, if the city of Roanoke or
the N&W Historical Society were to start a fund to save the Virginian
Depot, I would contribute to the cause.
Sincerely,

Charles Cantrell