[N&W] Re: VGN Terminal

Mon May 31 15:04:22 EDT 2004

I couldn't resist responding to this! I am a native Roanoker, having left in
1977 for Atlanta and recently Columbus, GA. I was raised in South Roanoke
not far off of Jefferson Street. I have very strong memories of the old
station and all the action there, mostly after the VGN-N&W merger.

Who presently owns the property? This is the one who really needs to take
the action; or an agent with approval from them. There are pretty
straight-forward procedures in dealing with the State Historical
Preservation Division (probably can look this up on the Commonwealth's
website at www.state.va.us and tracking them down). Lots of documentation
and restrictions on later use come with this; but a worthy endeavor if there
are no current plans for the structure!

Randy Rivinus
Midland, GA
Although I fully understand the desire to preserve the VGN station in
Roanoke, I do not believe this should become a project that would be fronted
by the NWHS. I would certainly encourage the powers that be in the NWHS to
consider a donation of sorts to an effort.

I would suggest that those of you who are interested in restoring the burned
out depot to ban together and form a non-profit corporation, with your own
organization, by-laws, etc. In that way, you can apply for grant money and
other funds that could then be used for your project.

The NWHS has enough on its plate and should focus on developing its
archives. There are other organizations in Roanoke, such as the NRHS
Chapter, which have deeper financial pockets and perhaps would be more
willing to take on such a project, as they have focused on the restoration
of equipment, etc.

If you form your own organization, I wish you the best of luck with your
project, and I would certainly buy one brick.

Jim Brewer
<< I'd be happy to help keep the
Virginian memory alive. How about a 'Buy a Brick' or similar campaign?
Bill Smith
Atlanta, GA >>
That's a good idea. Another thing we could do that the Railroad Museum of Pa.
does is sell small brass memorial plaques bearing the name of a railroad
employee that one wants to memorialize, to be mounted on a special wall in
the museum. Theirs sell for $50 or so, as I recall.
Greg Harrod
<< Let us join together and start the
necessary things like estimates from contractors, inspections from the
Roanoke Fire Department, tracking down architects and then initiate the
appropriate fund drives to accomplish this task.
Rob Wilson>>
We would also need to determine how much of all this can be safely
accomplished by volunteer labor. A temporary roof of sorts should be intalled
over the hole ASAP to prevent further deterioration.

Greg Harrod
Gentlemen,

I've been in favor doing anything feasible & practical to save the old
Virginian Railway Passenger Station. I'd be happy to contribute any way I
can, provided there are others willing to step up to the plate & take their
turn at bat, too. To be sure, the old girl has some strikes against her. Her
location is in the line of expansion of Carilion, Roanoke's burgeoning health
care complex. Curiously, the station has never flooded during her existence
although allegedly located in a "flood plain"! While it has been cited as
reason against its preservation, Carilion has expressed interest in building
in this "risky(?)" location! Hmmm.

Please refer to commentary page of Roanoke Times on Saturday, Feb 10th "The
Virginian Passenger Station Has Run Out Of Tomorrows" for some insight into
the situation. http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story107158.html

Establishing a definitive Virginian Railway Museum is long overdue. It's not
just the railroad, folks, it's also a monument to the last major privately
funded transportation project in this region (if not the country). The VGN
wasn't built with federal funds loans or grants (like the Union Pacific, for
example), It never went into receivership or bankruptcy like some of its
competitors (a-hem!). Virginian paid its bills as it went. That alone, is
quite an accomplishment when you consider railroad history overall. Just as
James Hill ramrodded the Great Northern into existence, H. H. Rogers built
the Virginian. If for no other reason for Roanoke to have a museum dedicated
to "that other railroad", it's the name itself: VIRGINIAN. It says it all.

Bob Moore
Certified "Virginian Railway Nut"
I have read with great interest this thread about the fire and the loss of
the Virginian Railway Passenger Station. I had assumed that the building
was totally destroyed, but I saw some photos that were posted and was
surprised to see it in such good shape after the fire.

I was involved with the resurrection of the Suffolk Seaboard Passenger
Station that Rob Wilson mentioned in his posting. That building was almost
totally gutted by the fire, the roof was breached and the station stood open
to the sky for about three years before we could restore it. I wish
everyone could see it now...it is as if it has risen from the ashes and has
become one of the most popular destinations in town. I won't kid you,
though, it was a long arduous journey for some very dedicated folks to make
this a reality.

So, if that station can be saved, then there is definitely hope for the
Virginian Passenger Station and the vision of a museum honoring Mr. Link's
work in the restored station is a wonderful idea. If there is a group of
folks who are getting organized, willing to get organized, or want to pursue
this idea further I would like to volunteer.

What I would like to volunteer is my services, as a restoration architect,
to give a precursory evaluation of the condition of the building and the
feasibility of restoring the building.

I make this offer genuinely and if someone would like to contact me, or pass
my name and e-mail address along to the right party, please feel free to do
so.

Greg Rutledge
email address: nandwry at msn.com