[N&W] Re: Pennsy on the N&W

Mon May 31 15:16:28 EDT 2004

 >In the UK several classes of large express passenger loco's were
 >four cylinder, with two outside in the normal position and two parallel
 >inside, the valve gear often working through rocking links...
 >
 >This system was never tried in the US to my knowledge though a number of
 >three cylinder classes were tried including the UP 4-12-2 's.

  Alco built a pair of 4-cylinder 4-4-2s in 1909 for Rock Island. They
seem to have run well enough to avoid rebuilding, but not well enough to
warrant duplication.

David Thompson
Regarding Gresely's conjugated valve gear, by which the combined motion of
the two "outside" valve gear drove the valve motion of the single "inside"
cylinder and piston:  bearings in the linkage wore quickly, which resulted
in the center piston taking more than 1/3 of the total output, which
resulted in excessive wear on the bearing on the cranked axle. The idea
sounded good; maybe a case of not so good in the details.

In reading about the engineering history of British locos; Sir Nigel
Gresley comes across as someone to be sent out of town when it came time
for optimum design of valve gear.

Jerry Crosson