[N&W] Re: N&W Alco question

Mon May 31 15:24:48 EDT 2004

I stand corrected on the ALCO lettering.  I know the N&W did not roster the
C430.  I don't think ALCO sold very many C430.   What I was thinking of was
the C425 in both hi and low hood versions.  The Hi-hood version the N&W
ordered, the low hoods being absorbed via merger.  The reason for the mistype
was I was looking at the ALCO book and a some N&W references of a different
source at the same time.  So you guys can shut off your flamethrowers now.

I still respectfully disagree with Nigel.  This of course is based on the
Bowers and Withers book.  According to this source the N&W hated the C630s
because they really tore up and were hard on the rails.  The units were not
on property that long until N&W decided to use them only when needed.  They
were not the motive power of choice.  They were still relatively young units
when the N&W tried to get rid of them, thus the high asking price. Therefore
N&W had no real choice but to turn them into slugs.

As for the C628s, these units were used heavily by the N&W.  They had more
wear and tear on them when they sold them to the CNW. CNW needed power at a
cheap price.  I believe N&W was starting equipment rationalization and using
the ever popular EMD SD40 as the mainstay for its six axle road power.

A.J. Gemperline