[N&W] Re: GP-40 Question - "Storm Windows"

Mon May 31 15:26:46 EDT 2004

Although it's possible that removing the storm windows may have been in a
contract somewhere on the N&W system, this was NOT a regular
practice.  Most generally, once a unit was outfitted with storm windows
they stayed in place permanently.

Chris Toth
One great trouble with the storm windows was if you were switching or
setting out or picking up with a road consist and had engines with storm
windows trailing in the consist, you still had to stick your head out of the
storm window to see back around the trailing unit.

IMHO these were just another gimmick the engine service brotherhoods
demanded to make the engines more expensive, and to give an engineer a
chance to refuse a consist if a storm window unit wasn't provided . . .

EdKing
The 'storm windows' weren't on any engines we used on the East End
(Lamberts Point area) in the 1960's or early 70's, as Harry indicated on
Atlantic regions. Oh you might see a road engine with them now and then
after the NKP & WAB mergers but that was about it. Most N&W guys down this
way didn't even want them as we heard just what others have said... they
were a pain in the butt, especially in summer. I can see how they would be
good in really cold climates though. Now days I see them more often on NS
yard power but those units probably came from 'up the road'. Must remember,
Lamberts Point has always been the last stop before the scrap yard for
locomotives, or so it seemed when I was with N&W. Perhaps Tom Dressler, if
he catches this, can comment on said windows on the West End during his
years with the road.
Larry Crocker
Kert:

The contract arrangement applied to all units on the
Lake and Western Regions. They were certainly
on the units during "all that snow in Buffalo" - 1977.
Engs 1628-1630 had'em. I know. Do your crews a favor
and leave the "storm windows" off.

Jimmy-"killer cabs"- you mean the NKP bay window jobs?
They were coffins on wheels. One of the NKP people
told me that east of Arcadia on the double track, the
Road Foreman was riding the cushions in the bay next
to the westward main track. When they met a westbound
the flagman told him it wasn't safe to be in the seat. He
told the flagman he was making a rolling inspection. That's
when the westbound launched a missle. It ricochetted off
the roadbed, busted the bay window, and parts of a brake
shoe dropped to the Road Foreman's feet. Incidentally, if
you're homesick, I saw on local TV that someone had
converted one of the bay window jobs to a bed and breakfast.
Air conditioned too. Probably runs about $150/night. Cheap!

Harry Bundy