[N&W] Re: GP-40 Question - "Storm Windows"

Mon May 31 15:27:09 EDT 2004

Harry, I grew up along the Sewell's Point tracks 1956 - 1979. N&W didn't do
a great job keeping the "problem pyromaniac" units off the Sewells Point
tracks.  Several times a year they would burn down part of the swamp behind
my house.  The usual culpruits were the ex-Virginian H16-44, the ex ACY Hs
and NPBL switchers.  At night time the fireworks from these locos' exhaust
stacks could be impressive!

Roger Hofford
Harry Bundy-- What does smokers have to do with what I said in my
comment... I said, "Lamberts Point was the last stop before the scrap yard,
or so it seemed to us in train service." I will agree those FM units set
some fires, a crew I was working, with when pulling 90 + loads from Sewells
Point to LP, set 8 or 10 fires along the right-of-way. As for as smokers
staying at LP and "non-smokers" going to SP, well someone dropped the ball
there as we had more than our share of "smokers" at SP when I worked 1st
and 3rd Helper jobs there. But, most units in yard service at LP and SP
were on their last legs be they ex-VGN, WAB, P&WV (P-willies) or N&W. The
only job to pull fairly good power on a regular basis at LP was the 7AM
Point Job working sidings from LP to Portlock. Oh yes, the Pier Job usually
got a T-6 as they switched the passenger train and those units were in
fairly good shape in the the mid 60's to mid 70's.

Regarding the 1970's version of discrimination, I have to agree with you
there. Hate to say it but the VGN men certainly got the better deal after
the merger, just like SOU men seemed to get the better deal when N&W and
SOU merged. Nice when you can get paid even if your job is cut off for a
day... money for sitting home, but that was in their contract. Didn't last
as the RR changed that in time, then everyone got the shaft, so to speak.

Larry Crocker

Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: GP-40 Question - "Storm Windows"