[N&W] RE: N&W G-Kb and G-Kd Gondolas

Sun Jun 6 08:57:39 EDT 2004

At 10:25 AM 5/31/04 -0400, you wrote:
 >Greetings,
 >   I have a few questions regarding N&W's G-K class gondolas.
 >For the G-Kb and G-Kd class, what was the number series and how long
 >would these have lasted in service?

  The production GKb's were 100750-101749, built in 1917. The GKd's were
rebuilds of the GKa and GKb classes in 1927-8 and 1930, series 100000-
101749.

 >Regarding hand brakes, around what time did the change from a horizontal
 >wheel to a verticle wheel take place? I am guessing this would have been
 >a system wide change over that would have affected all cars.

  It appears that most of the GKd's were built with horizontal brake
wheels, a few were built with vertical power brakewheels, and all kept
whatever they were built with throughout their lives.

 >Finally, are there any good books or sources that would show the
 >interiors of these cars (empty)? I have a diagram sheet for the G-Kb,
 >but it would help to have some further info, trying to figure out the
 >interior bracing is a bit confusing.

GKb interior:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1755.jpeg
GKd interior:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2542.jpeg

David Thompson
Mike:

Andrew Dow's book "Norfolk and Western Coal Cars, from 1881 to 1998"
gives some diagrams and pictures of the gondolas you asked about.  I
happened to just be reviewing it.  Check out pages 67-75.  Page 73 shows
pictures of a GKd with one side in place, including it's bolsters; and,
then one after it's completion.  Dimensions of the different classes and
several pictures (exterior) of each are included.  The prototype GKb was
numbered 70562 and was built by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of
Roanoke.  The 1,000 production cars numbered 100750-101749 were built by
N&W (pgs 71&72).   The GKd were the re-build of the earlier GKa and GKb
gondolas.  They retained their earlier numbers after the re-build.  The
GKa were numbered 100000-100749.

In 1927, 1,736 of the original 1,750 cars were rebuilt at the Roanoke
Shops.  The N&W Coal Car fleet records show 1,719 cars through 1939 (GKa
and GKb); in 1949 there were 1655 through 1949.  The last GKd gondolas
are listed as: 1,612 in 1950; 933 in 1951; 358 in 1952 and none after
that (Appendix C).

I'll check Dow's book regarding your hand brake question.  I hope this
helps.

George Weber