A Visit to the Virginian

Sat Jun 19 22:34:28 EDT 2004

  Ken,
    Thanks for your info on the VGN paint-date. It seems that the paint on
the "West" side of the
  highway bridge is more weathered than the "East" side. I would assume
that is from it being
  more exposed to prevailing weather systems. The paint date does not seem
to have faired as
  badly as the VGN lettering,as it is in the upper left area on the "North"
end of the bridge some-
  what protected by the walkway. Further out on the first girder section
towards the river the
  Virginian name is also stenciled on both sides of this section. I have a
picture of the "East" side
  of this section but did not get a picture of the "West" side. Though both
sides appear to be
  weathered equally.
    On the "South" side of the concrete abutments for both bridge sections
is a stenciled number
  located near the top. On the highway bridge it is "434/4" and on the
river bridge it is "434/8".
Does this have to do with the distance to Norfolk like a mileage marker?

                    Thanks

                    John Zuro