N&W Telephone Boxes

Sun Jun 20 17:46:53 EDT 2004

  Anyone remember those steel "T-Boxes" on the N&W?  They were about
2'x2'x2' and fabricated from sheet steel.  Painted silver, they held a
magneto, a selector (one side was "B" for Block Line, the other was "D" for
Dispatcher's Line,) a push-to-talk button and a telephone handset.  They
looked fairly new in the 1960s.

When I went to work in the early 1960s, they were ubiquitous... all over
the N&W.  I can recall them in the late 1950s, too.  Matter of fact, in all
my booming around the various divisions of the N&W, I never saw a wooden
T-Box !

Now, my question is this...  When were they installed, supplanting the old
wooden boxes?  In CTC territory, one might assume they were installed along
with the CTC.  But I also worked in non-CTC territory, and they were there,
too.

I checked Warden & Miller's book on N&W passenger trains post-1956, but
could find them depicted in none of the photographs.

A quo ... ?

-- abe burnett