Newport News Shipbuilding Built Equipment

Sun Jun 20 17:49:52 EDT 2004

Group,

Can anyone tell me if Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company built
any rolling stock for the Norfolk & Western Rwy? The construction period
would be between 1920 and 1961. So far, I have found that NNS&DDCo. built a
total of 5,239 rail cars, including woodracks and cabs for the SAL, boxcars
for PRR, boxcars for the C&O, and a few cars for themselves. Most of this
info I'm seeking is easily found in the equipment data books, but I have
none of the  N&W data books in my current library.

I can use types of cars built, class, year built, and series numbers. If
the NNS&DDCo job order is listed, I can also use that.

Thank you for any help!