Salem... Where was the old depot?

Tue Jun 22 07:43:52 EDT 2004

Abe

The present Salem station was completed in February, 1891. Construction
began in the fall of 1890, I don't have my exact dates easily at hand,
however.

The previous Salem depots stood where the old freight depot stood,
which I refer to as an AM&O style, about a half mile west of the
present station. The freight house stood into the mid to late 1960s.
West of the highway bridge, present site of a concrete plant was a
turntable and woodyard. Those two probably lasted until about the time
of the 1891 depot construction.

The AM&O style depot was built after the War, probably in the 1870s or
1880 . The first Salem depot was destroyed by Union troops in a raid,
records are a bit unclear and the time frame to rebuild a depot is a
bit short, so I suspect that a second depot was not actually built
until the AM&O era. I have a V&T letter dated 1866 (I believe) that
refers a shipper to sending their shipment elsewhere, due to the depot
in Salem only being a temporary depot made from a boxcar. Perhaps there
was a replacement built before the freight station that survived, I
wish I had some records, but even the photos of the AM&O building are
not real common.  A few company shots document it, but nothing (that I
have seen) prior.

Regarding the train order signals, none of the photos I have of the
place (from about 1900 on) indicated order boards at any point. Not
saying it was not possible, just unlikely.

There was a train register for the Catawba Branch located outside at
the 1891 depot, but I have never seen proof that any  train orders were
issued at Salem in the era after 1900. I gladly stand to be corrected!

Ken Miller