Newport News Shipbuilding Built Equipment- ramblings

Wed Jun 23 08:41:18 EDT 2004

List:
I worked at NNS&DDCo. June '67 to Oct. '71 on the USS Nimitz which was the
first of the modern carriers we see today.
I never did see a list of railroad cars manufactured. Wish I had paid more
attention. I do remember seeing photos of fab shops with steam locomotives
in them. If I should find it, I'll scan and post somewhere. Amongst their
odd lot of 'in yard' equipment were 2 and 4 axle locomotives including
several of the side rod type, tank cars, boxes, gons and plenty of flats.
As far as I know, they only had one car for interchange. It was a Yard
(home) made well hole car with adjustable width sides that is still in use
today. It had 3 axle Buckeyes on it too! There was a 3/4 = 1 ft. (I think)
scale model of it in the model shop. They had a practice of modeling just
about any prototype.
They had several rr cranes of the 75 T range. One was still in steam when I
left there.
The Yard was quite an industrial builder too. They made huge drying drums
for the paper industry. Once, the C&O drop a car inside one of the collier
loaders at Newport News pier. It was the type loader where the car was
actually taken up inside the tower and dumped. It came lose and damaged some
equipment. The loader builder was talking months to repair. The Shipyard
finished it in weeks.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg