Harry Bundy...

Mon Jul 5 21:57:15 EDT 2004

Kim,

It is interesting to see your mention of your grandfather Alfred Hock.  I
met him once when I was a youngster in Bluefield and he was up in years.  I
remember going to his house and seeing his collection of Railroad Magazines.
He even gave me a copy, although I am uncertain whether I still have it some
place.  I remember his articles on the Pocahontas Division that appeared in
that magazine.  One account that sticks in my mind was what he wrote about
the many delays getting over the road in those days that often resulted in
long, long hours shoveling coal as a fireman, before the Federal Hours of
Service Law, of course.  He wrote something to the effect that at times he
was so fatigued that he would drift off to sleep standing up on the bouncing
engine deck!

The Hocks were friends of my maternal grandparents, the Yearouts.  My
grandfather, Charles Edward Yearout was also an engineer on the Pocahontas
Division and my grandparents' Bluefield home was on Rogers Street.  It
sticks in my mind that Mr. Hock may have lived in the same neighborhood.  I
also remember my grandparents mentioning a C. B. Hock; Charley Bill Hock I
think it was.  Well, this paragraph may have strayed a bit from railroading,
but it is still related.

Gordon Hamilton
gordonshamilton at cox.net

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 9:54 PM
Subject: Harry Bundy...

> Hi!
> I just saw this name... and it triggered a thought..... and a question.
> My great grandfather (Alfred Hock) was an engineer on the N&W - Pocahontas
Division