Chilhowie, VA area question

Sun Sep 5 09:45:48 EDT 2004

Charlie,
My family origins began in Crockett, Va and the Musser's owned a grist mill and "Post" house nearby.  Rural Retreat was indeed known as Mt. Airy (not Crockett) at one time and there was even a Hotel Mt. Airy which was a large 3 story affair, now long gone.  My aunt Perdita Musser Williams wrote a small book (a thesis for her Master's Degree from VT in 1954) called "A Study of Social Change in the Area of Rural Retreat" which has many photos of the area, many of which I think are in the VT archives.

Mark L. Musser, Greenbrier Co. WV (Formerly of Mullens, WV)