Signals

Wed Sep 29 18:58:40 EDT 2004

Regarding semaphores on the Peavine, I cannot say clearly when the
change from semaphores to position lights happened.  But, it could have
been earlier than the 1946-7 project.  I have a few photographs showing
a few semaphores in the mid thirties- BUT this was on the line up from
Clare Yard up into Hyde Park, Cincinnati, Norwood and Berry's Yard.
This section may have been converted later than the mainline running
Clare yard to Portsmouth.  I have late 1930's/ early 1940's movie film
showing position lights just to the east of Clare Yard on the mainline.
The locomotives still have lettering on the cab, which is partly how I
date the film- for better or for worse!  (This film also has the EA-EB
set of diesels on the B&O with the original trim and small side lights
on it.)

I have a retired friend that started on the Peavine in 1946.  He
recalls, noting his age and the effect on his memory, that semaphores
were in place in 1946 when he started. And that all of the semaphores
were not removed in 1946-7.  He also notes that he remembers hand
throwing a lot of switches on the mainline sidings until the mid-fifties
or so as well as getting train orders form many of the agents at the
stations along the line.  So he feels that true CTC did not exist on the
line until much later.

There is a Skip Farrington article in "Railroading from the Head End"
or ..."from the Tail End", I forget which, book that describes this
signal upgrade and the use of dispatcher controlled signals on Irvington
hill west of Peebles, which was CTC.

It is probably a really good bet that the semaphore signals were
installed in 1926 and lasted until at least 1946.

This is some interesting, conflicting information!   I'll have to do
further research and maybe find the appropriate AFE(s) covering signal
changes.

Gary Rolih Cincinnati