"Virginia-Carolina Branch" in 1918

Tue Oct 19 15:10:44 EDT 2004

That crossing (and one at Laureldale as well) was probably controlled by a
gate.

Bob McKell

Chillicothe, Ohio

  _____

Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 9:13 PM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: "Virginia-Carolina Branch" in 1918

Radford Division Time Table No. 8, effective December 8, 1918, has an
interesting entry for facilities at Callahan Crossing, between Creek Junc
and Green Cove, on the "Virginia-Carolina Branch."

The timetable shows both "G" and "C" at that point.  Now, we know that "C"
is coal, "W" is water, "T" is turn table and "O" is track scale, but what
the heck is "G" ???  In more than a half-century of sifting through the dirt
of history, I've never seen that one.  And there is no explanatory note in
the Time Table.

I proffer this connundrum to Senator Bundy, sage and savant par excellence.
He's been around forever, knows where all the skeletons are hidden, and
seldom comes up dry for an answer.

So, Senator Bundy, hold forth and lead us into all truth !  And don't tell
us that it stands for "Change of time zone" or "Goode" or some such !

So that all the faithful may enjoy seeing Senator Bundy twist in the wind on
this one, I'm attaching a scan, which ye Venerable List Meister may wish to
make available somewhere for prying eyes, gossips and the
just-plain-curious.

Those who want a high-resolution scan of this item contact me off list,
please, at Pius10th at aol.com

-- abram burnett,

        in the eparchy of nuevo cumberlando,

                                    somewhere south of kiev

<< PS - Having myself been the Keeper of the Timetable of a certain
unmentionable railroad for about 15 years, I'm inclined to think it's a
printer's error.  But, who knows...? >>