Ohio Museum - N&W E2 #587 up for "grabs"

Tue Oct 19 23:47:54 EDT 2004

I don't know when the 578 last ran, but N&W had one other Pacific at that time - the 563.  The 563 was the backup for the Clinch Valley line when the 578 wasn't available.  I saw them both on #5 at various days, and they doubleheaded on an excursion consist (added to #5-6) in 1956 or 1957.

Ed King
  Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Ohio Museum - N&W E2 #587 up for "grabs"

  When did 578 last run passenger service for N&W... and how many other Pacific-class locomotives were still running then?

  Bob Welsh
    Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 12:03 AM

    I don't think 578  had a hooter.  It didn't in its last years of service - it had a passenger whistle, and echoing down those "hollers" on the Clinch it would make you homesick on your own back porch . . .

    Ed King
      Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 11:43 PM

      I spoke to some of the folks I volunteer with there and Spencer is aware and investigating.

      Prolly the difficulty there, and anywhere else for that matter, is where to come up with the

      Money to "buy" it or what do we have to trade to them  - Not much, if they are going to start

      Focusing on traction..then again, Don't know of many other museums who would want it

      Who would have the funds to purchase...will be interesting to see how it turns out.   I would

      Love to hear Hooters in the area again!!!   Imagining what John Barnett could do with that

      Whistle makes me drool!!!   A real whistle artist!!!

      David Crabtree