Where was "South Roanoke" ? - Rorer Mines Railroad

Sun Oct 31 20:32:15 EST 2004

Don Corbin writes of the Rorer Mines railroad, which fetched ore from from
Yellow Mountain to the N&W at West Roanoke, for delivery to Crozier Iron Works.

I searched for traces of this line in the early 1960s, between Winston
District MP 8 and the N&W Yard at Roanoke.  Other than what Don mentioned, I found
nothing.

I have a scan of a Sanborn Insurance Map (1893, as I recall) that shows the
location of this little pike between the area of Wasena Park and its junction
with the N&W at 12th Street or so...  all the streets are clearly shown and
labeled.  It is .PDF format.  If anyone is interested, I'll e-mail them a copy.
(It's stored on my office computer, so sending won't happen until I'm back on
the office Tuesday 11/2.)

I also have a scan of a postcard showing the Rorer Mines RR bridge across the
Roanoke River.  Will be happy to send it out to anyone who asks.

Lemme know...

-- abram burnett
       <Email: pius10th at aol.com>