Walthers Troop Sleeper Cars

Tue Nov 9 22:40:29 EST 2004

Friends,

The "troopers" (both sleepers and kitchens) have been a special interest of
mine for some time.

Back in 1998 or '99, I gave a clinic (at the Prototype Modelers meet in
Naperville, IL) on the cars which were converted into express cars after the
war. Many railroads bought them and made the conversion. A major railcar
rebuilder/leasor, Chicago Freight Car Leasing bought the largest number of
these cars and converted them into express cars, express refrigerator cars
and even freight box and refrigerator cars for the Alaska Railroad. Their
express car and express reefer customers included the NYC, KCS and REA.

Alas, no cars were converted for or by the N&W-at least not for express
service. Since my interest is exclusive to that service, I defer to Aubrey's
superior knowledge concerning their MOW use.

The Walthers cars are very nicely done. I've submitted a product review to
RMC in which I marvel at how dimensionally accurate these cars are. Walthers
really did a nice job on these. Bill Schaumburg has asked me to do an
article on the history of the cars with emphasis on what happened to them
post-War. The article, which I laboring over, will include a section on how
to kitbash the cars into NYC, DL&W, HN, StL-SF, CRIP, B&M, CB&Q, REA, etc.
express cars.

Here's where I need your help. Any photos of troopers in express service
would be highly appreciated. If you are unclear about what the heck I'm
talking about here, I call your attention to page 92 (you have to do your
own counting from page 82) in Steam, Steel and Stars. The couple is gazing
longingly at a New Haven trooper complete with Allied Full Cushion
trucks-just as God intended.

I've run into a minor roadblock on the kitbashing of these cars. The cars
were equipped as-built with Peacock Power handbrakes-you know, the kind with
the long crank handle and no brake wheel. The rebuilding of the cars almost
always left this equipment intact, but usually it into a more convenient
position on the car ends. I have a faint recollection of some detail parts
manufacturer offering the Peacock brake in HO. I just can't seem to find
them in the Walthers catalog. Does anyone have any knowledge of these parts?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Lambert

  _____