Durham passenger service

Thu Dec 2 21:32:38 EST 2004

I finally caught up with Fred Reburn today. Those of you who came to
Lynchburg for the N&WHS convention a couple of years ago may remember Fred. He gave a
talk and led a walking tour of Island Yard.

I asked him about the likelihood of the Alco RS-3's ever being used as power
for the mixed train on the Durham line.  He thought for a bit and replied that
he couldn't recall it ever happening. He went on to express that it would
have been so unusual that if it had happened, he would have remembered some
details of it. Fred has a memory like a steel trap, by the way.  Fred decided that
it must not have happened.  He said the RS-3's not having steam generators
wouldn't have mattered because the passenger equipment used on that line had its
own, self contained heating system. Then in his own joking way, he added, "It
was a coal stove!"

So take this employee's account I am presenting as you like.

Aubrey Wiley
Lynchburg, Va.