White Insulators

Thu Dec 16 09:54:35 EST 2004

Jim:  I have been told the same thing by N&W train crews regarding the
insulators and the emergency use for train crew communication.

On the Peavine, the location of the white ceramic insulators was on the
trackside lower arm.  However, with the advent of radio communication,
broken ceramic insulators were replaced by the typical green insulators
as the need to connect to the dispatcher via a phone system had
disappeared.  .

I note that different insulators could be used along different
districts.  It would seem that LYNCHBURG insulators, a pale,
bluish-green were used in the Virginia state and lines to the west
toward Bluefield.  Kinda Williamson and west, the Hemmingray type is
much more common.  This one is a little more greenish but still pale and
clear.  On older spots on the Columbus District and the Cincinnati
District, one can find the bullet-shaped HB type which is dark green.

I note that the AC lines use a pale green-blue Hemmingray style.  The
lightening arrestor line  on the top of the pole on the metal bracket
uses a dark brown ceramic insulator.

I also see where the broken glass insulators have been replaces by a
small hard rubber insulator and a clear plastic, injection molded type.

Gary Rolih