Station agent duties and tasks

Thu Jan 20 08:13:49 EST 2005

In some of these locations, the Railway Express Account was extremely lucrative, allowing an agent to make as much as $35,000-$40,000 per year in the '50's.  In that era, that kind of pay created wealthy folks.  The local freight agent was sometimes one of the movers and shakers in the community (wealth can do that, y'know).  Obviously, these stations were where the job was represented by a collective bargaining agreement, ergo, manned by those higher on the seniority list as well as those who showed, at least a modicum of expertise and stayed out of trouble.  Out of the agent's 10%, he hired or paid part-time, station hands who actually did the loading and unloading.  Sometimes the agent's kids were hired to drive the delivery trucks, if there were any.  Sweet deal!  As I remember, some of the higher volume REA stations in this category on N&W were Bedford, Abingdon, Blacksburg, and Norton, in Virginia.  And I think, Ironton in Ohio.  I'm sure there were others.  I wonder if there were any lucrative accounts on the Virginian?
                                    Don Corbin
  Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 9:44 AM
  Subject: Re: Station agent duties and tasks

  As Frank noted, in smaller towns, the agent (operator) doubled as
  the Railway Express Agent.  In larger towns, REA had their own
  agent.  The railway agent received a commission of 10% of the express
  revenue.  At some stations, the agent's Railway Express commissions
  would equal his railroad compensation.  There was a "gentlemen's
  agreement" however -- he who compiled the complicated end-of-the
  month report for REA received the 10%.  Even after trains handling
  express were discontinued, REA continued service with over-the-
  road trucks.
                                            Harry Bundy