B-4/B-4a Box Car Question

Sun Jan 23 03:27:42 EST 2005

Greetings,

   In doing some research on B-4 box cars, I have come across 2 different
roofs used on these cars. I am curious if during production, the ribbed roof
replaced the smooth peaked roof on later series, or if this change occured
later in their service careers. My main focus on modeling is around 1950 or
the early 50's, and also wondering if it would be safe to model certain
number groups one way or the other.

   Also, is there any noticable differences between the B-4 and B-4a box
cars on the outside?

Thank you and have a good day!

Michael Stovall