Train orders

Sun Jan 23 20:28:06 EST 2005

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:03:30 EST
Subject:  Re: Train orders

In a message dated 1/23/2005 11:49:43 AM Eastern
Standard Time, nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

I'm
fascinated that someone decided to use a train order
hoop for the photo and then placed a string across the
middle with the train order.

Thanks Frank,
       Bruce Wingo of NS was the man that held the
hoop this frosty night. I hope that he has thawed out
by now.
        I had looked out of the cab window and saw
that he was holding the hoop with nothing in it and
thought that "this won't do". I found some string on
some forms in the cab, tied them together with one
rolled up to represent the train orders. After maybe
the first photo segment was finished I took it down
and we tied it onto the hoop.
       I know it's not exactly correct, but there
wasn't a Y shaped stick around and I just thought that
it looked a lot better than an empty hoop. Do you
think the first people to take pictures will be
jealous of those taken afterwards?

Jimmy Lisle

January 23, 2005

Hello, Jimmy:

Thanks for the rest of the story.  It's nice to have
this aspect documented, Jimmy.  Someone many years
from now might wonder the same thing, but would not
otherwise have the benefit of your perspectives had
you not written them them down.

I do want all to understand that my train order
observation is a trivial matter in what otherwise
seemed to be a nice event.  It's rare these days when
a railroad, museum, and railfans are able to
collaborate on an occasion such as this.  It was an
excellent way to recognize the contributions of a
great industrial photographer.  Certainly, those who
organized the event and all who participated should be
pleased they have all made their own contributions to
rail history.

Good evening,

=====
Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator