Virginia Budget for Rail Improvements?

Tue Feb 8 15:13:25 EST 2005

The other day Mr. Bundy spoke that the Virginia Government was lookin' into giving money to the railroads for capital improvements.  Can anyone elaborate more on this?

Personally, it looks like to me they're not spending anymore than they have to.  On the Bristol Line a lot of stuff needs attention, but its not getting it.  For instance, in Roanoke, NS keeps their block signals looking nice and tidy, with fresh paint.  In Marion, you have rust colored signals, and caution tape all over one telling you to stay away from it!  The remnants of the pole line are laying all over the place where the contractor left them.  No one is doing anything about this stuff, they only concentrate on the track itself.  I'll admit, that's the most important part, but they used to keep up with all of it, and now they can't?  I've heard they're short on manpower.  Why?  I don't get it.

They started the signal upgrade in '96.  Said they'd be back to finish it in '99.  They never came back.  They sent 'em to Conrail territory instead.  What was wrong with letting the Conrail people do it?  Naturally, they should know more about their own territory, right?

Can someone shed some light for me?  I just don't understand...

Signed,
Confused... (Ben Blevins)