1218 top view

Sun Feb 13 14:03:03 EST 2005

Ron,
Great boilertop view of A, best I've seen yet - Thank you.
It gives a bit more turret area detail just in front of the cab roof.
The recessed area behind the stack is a non jacketed lift out access panel,
you can make out the lift rings either side of the stack. I'm not sure, but
it may be held in place with the same type of dogs as the smokebox door. The
area behind it inside the s/box is under vacume from the exhaust jet.
It would be removed during intermediate/ main shoppings to gain access to
the front end throttle and superheated header.
The excellent book by Kalmbach Publishing Cyclopedia - Vol 1 Steam Locos.
has some good 3/4 side views on page 239 & 240

Regards
John Pearson
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:18 PM
Subject: 1218 top view