(N&W Revival) was Big Boy Revival

Sat Feb 19 21:51:54 EST 2005

This gives me a crazy idea, but a remotely possible one:

Someone with a lot of clout and money needs to make a movie about O. Winston Link.  In the process they'd need to rehabilitate 611, 1218, and 2156.  475 is already running and could be dressed as 382 or 429.  They could dress the other loco's with different numbers to represent different engines, and only those of us "in the know" would be able to tell the difference.
Then bring all the engines to the old N&W and run them over the system and tell EVERYBODY that THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU WILL EVER GET TO SEE N&W STEAM RUN ON N&W TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Either go see it now or never!

I think the reason most folks are so sore about the steam issue, at least for me anyway is, we never had a chance to properly say goodbye.  We had about a month's notice.  I had the misfortune of working the first excursion after NS announced the death of steam, and it was like a funeral.  I don't think any of us enjoyed the trip.  Yhea, I ain't ever got over it either...

As for Big Boy, I see how they could do it, but only because Hollywood has the money and clout if someone big is behind it.  They spent over $200 million on Titanic.  What could you do to a Big Boy for a quarter of that?  A tenth of that?  Heck, they could build one from scratch for $20 million!  (of course, FRA reg's might cause a problem with that now...)
Just my 2 cents.  And yes, I'm insane...

Ben Blevins
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org wrote:
This is an old story, but I wouldn't discount the movie still being in the works. The biggest downside to rebuilding a Big Boy is, once its restored and operational, where can you run it? From what i understand, most of the trackage on the UP now is not suitable for the Big Boy's size and weight. At least that was what I read on another newsgroup that was discussing it. Sure, it would be awesome to see one of those monsters running - shoot us steam-starved N&W fans would love to see ANY Steam running these days - but I don't believe its feasible at all.

Bob Welsh
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: Big Boy Revival

I do not think this is a current article. The movie was to be produced several years ago, and the funding feel through. Plus the article says $3 million? That's awfully high even if it is a Big Boy, but the caption says only a few parts need to be replaced? Full rebuilds of engines including the boilers are being done for $1 million.

Jason Greene
Dahlonega, GA
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:05 PM
Subject: Big Boy Revival