Edinburg, VA

Wed Mar 9 01:25:14 EST 2005

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:08:31 -0500
Subject:  Edinburg, VA

I work for Shenandoah Telecommunications (Shentel) and
was wonder what the line was that ran parallel to
route 11 north through Edinburg towards Woodstock? Is
this a Branch line? Is it still in use? I saw the
other day a NS hirail truck checking things out. One
gentleman I work with said he was told it has been
almost a year since a train has been through.

Thanks
Jon Kelley
Norfolknwestern1218 at adelphia.net

Good morning, John:

You are referring to the former Southern Railway's
Harrisonburg Branch.  This line has an interesting
history.  Let me suggest that you or anyone else
interested in this line contact Mr. Henry Mikus at
bahnfan at shentel.net .  As you see, he is a customer of
yours and works in Woodstock.

If you're ever near Winchester along I-81/US 11, swing
by Boyce, Virginia.  It would be nice to talk trains
with you.

Best wishes,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator