Chain on Tender sides

Tue Mar 15 08:10:36 EST 2005

I would think these would be used as tow chain for pulling a car or
cars when a drawhead was pulled out, a near impossible repair in the
field without a crane. It was necessary to get cars out of the way to
the nearest siding until they could be repaired or picked up and taken
to the shop.

By ash pit hoppers dumping, I assume you mean the hoppers that were
loaded with cinders and slag. Normally referred to as "Cinder Fill" it
was used as a form of ballast on yard trackage or in some cases, for
station platforms in more remote places.

Ken Miller