Dispatcher line communications

Thu Mar 17 23:38:04 EST 2005

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:30:16 -0000
From: "scenicdepot" <gnkid at icehouse.net>
Subject: historical dispatcher recordings from
1969/1970, Great Northern RR

Hi everyone,

Since this group has to do with railroad
communications, albeit radio, a few of you may be
interested in the following.

A while back I was offering a set of four CD's of
original recordings of the Great Northern Railway's
Dispatcher Phone from 1969/1970, pre and post merger.
These were recorded by me as a boy through unusual
circumstances.  For those of you who are not
old-timers, let me explain.

Formerly, most communications between the dispatcher
and railroad employees across a division took place
via an open landline phone, an outgrowth of the
telegraph system.  Using this, the DS would dictate
train orders, messages, and other business to the
operators at the various stations.  Trainmen would
also use this to communicate with the dispatcher, and
this became more commonplace on the GN when a
phonepatch system was first installed on the Cascade
Division in 1968.  Eventually, the Dispatcher Phone
fell into disuse as stations were closed and as radio
took over.

This set of CD's consists of about 4.5 hours of very
time-compressed routine and not-so-routine GN/BN
railroad business from the summers of 1969 and 1970.
Outsiders were never privy to these kinds of
communications, and it is interesting listening for
any railbuff historian.

The set of 4 CD's goes for $20.00 which includes
shipping.  If interested, and/or if you would like a
wma audio sample, you can send a request to
gnkid at icehouse.net.

Tom Garrett
P.O. Box 11331
Spokane Valley, WA  99211

March 17, 2005

Hello, Tom:

This sounds very interesting.  I wish I had done the
same thing when I was working at a tower during that
same era, but never did.  I wonder how many other
recordings exist for other railroads?

I'll drop you a note and a check soon.  Thanks for
making these recordings available.

Best wishes,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator