Coal via Potomac Yard

Tue Mar 22 02:13:57 EST 2005

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:11:34 +0000
Subject: Re: Coal via Potomac Yard

I can't speak to N&W coal that might have been
detoured off the Valley line, but I know that C&O coal
moved up the Washington Sub to PY in the 1960s and
'70s was destined for the Potomac Electric generating
station in Alexandria, not for shipment north of the
Potomac. The plant also burned N&W coal, but I don't
know its routing.

Bill McClure

March 22, 2005

Hello, Jim:

Bill raises a good point.  Of course, there was also a
carload or two every day or so to the Alexandria
Electric Power Company 1 KW generating station on
Union Street near the Wilkes Street tunnel.  I suppose
that was the former WA&MtV Ry power source that sold
some electricity locally to downtown before household
juice was common.  I also expect that was N&W coal,
although I suppose some of it could have been sourced
from C&O-located mines and received in interchange at
Potomac Yard?  Or at Orange, Virginia?

GN&GM,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator