Coal via Potomac Yard

Thu Mar 24 09:31:15 EST 2005

From: "Jim Foley" <james.foley at att.net>
To: "Frank Scheer" <f_scheer at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Coal via Potomac Yard
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:54:00 -0500

Frank

The PEPCO plant on North Royal St was built in 1949.

In DC the C&O coal went in part to the Pentagon Power
Plant, the Southwest Heating Plant opposite Engraving
and Printing, PEPCO's Buzzards Point plant, Benning
Road plant, local dealers at Rosslyn, Waterloo and
South Washington, Water St. TT in DC a couple of
dealers on the Buzzard's Pt spur and to the Navy
Yard's power plant and Gun Factory foundry.  But the
larger amount of C&O coal went in part to Beth Steel
at Sparrows Pt. and Bethlehem, and the greater part of
that northward flow was to US Steel at the Fairless
Works and some to Phila Electric and other points up
north.

The N&W coal I asked about was strictly an overhead or
bridge move at a per car charge in a designated detour
move. It was rated over Hagerstown but moved over PY
acct carrier convenience and wartime emergency
movement directives as far as I have learned form the
old guys.

Jim Foley