Builders Plates

Sun Apr 10 08:13:29 EDT 2005

Yesterday on eBay N&W plate #396 (Y6b Dec 1950), after 31 bids, went for
$1,948.00.  WOW!  Last August, I wrote in this list that in 1959 my
brother went to Portsmouth, Ohio and purchased N&W builders plates at $1
each from the scrapper.  Among his collection is #394 from Y6b 2191- Nov
1950. That means if he wanted to sell this plate he would realize a
1948% gain.  This is about 18% per year, (1959 - 2005) -  much better
than the stock market!

Now, I'm really upset that we did not drive a truck down to Portsmouth
in 1959, and load up with goodies.

One of the problems with BP's is they are too easy to copy.  When the
high school I taught at still had a foundry, I worked in it after school
making parts for my locomotives and also made copies of any BP's I could
get my hands on.  They were cast in aluminum, but I just as easily could
have used bronze.  When they closed the foundry (as they did with most
of the shops), I purchased the equipment and set it up in my backyard.
So, if I wanted to, I could flood the market with BP's and you might not
be able to tell the difference.

Ron Peisker