Tue Apr 26 22:39:11 EDT 2005

Ben:
Here's why it's cheaper.  Say the Safetran colorlight cost $1000 (that's
close).  The CPL is say $2000 (I have no idea).  There's what, 4 heads?  OK,
it cost $4000 extra.  And, yes, the weight of aluminum is better, but so is
its maintenance.
OK, now FRA requires locking tests on ALL routes through the plant after
disarrangement (rewired signal circuits). NS transportation still wants to
run their traffic when it's ready to run.  So it might take a good 24 hours
to check the plant.  Remember that EVERYTHING runs restricted speed until
that particular route is tested and OK'd.  Now, you will likely need two
gangs to get the job done with the Hours of Service law.  One gang gets paid
to rest while the other gang starts the job (because tis is not their normal
tour), then draws pay for their 12 hours of work.  Then there's travel time
for the gang that did not install the job.  Have we spent the $4000 yet?  I
think so.
You do need the two gangs on any cut in that will last more than 12 hours.
Transportation is not going to let you shut down your cut in and go to the
motel and get your rest while they are running at restricted speed.  I still
laugh at the time on the old Southern when I stopped a cut in for lunch at
one of the biggest interlocking plants. They never knew!  Of course, I knew
no one important was around.  I would have been fired probably.
John Marbury

  Hey folks!

  Yesterday I paid a visit to my sister and her family in Roanoke, and while
there I just had to go by and check out this signal we've been talking
about.  I've even attached a couple of my not-so-good photographs of it.
(Sorry, but my digital camera is kinda outdated!)

  Well, here's what we have.  The arms on this signal are not Union Switch &
Signal arms.  They are not reconditioned units.  They are BRAND SPANKING NEW
Safetran CPL's!  Every piece of this installation is new.  The well trained
eye can look at the back of these units in my photo taken from the bridge
and see the difference.  There's no spider frame.  They have frames made out
of aluminum angle.  The Safetran logo is visible on the back of the lamp
casings.  (Again I apologize, my photos aren't great, but its there.)

  Roanoke is now the proud home of the newest Norfolk & Western Color
Position Light block signals in existence!  In a way, its the signal version
of a "new steam locomotive".

  Now, this raises another question.  Why did NS spend the extra money for
these new CPL arms?  Evidently, this was cheaper than having to do all the
extra work with new aspects, right?  It avoided FRA involvement in the
change.  Why was that cheaper?

  Does that mean that from now on, when NS changes out CPL installations as
they fail that they will just put up NEW CPL's instead of the three light
signals?

  I'll take back what I said before about common sense being applied.  I'm
more confused now than I was.

  Ben Blevins