RURAL RETREAT station and NS' 175th

Wed May 18 05:10:03 EDT 2005

Frank,
The Rural Retreat station is still rotting away, locked up, and looking abandoned.  I was there a couple weeks ago with my boys showing them the caboose behind it.  I don't know if its still for sale or not.  It does have No Trespassing signs up on it.

As for NS' 175th anniversary, I honestly would like to see them do something spectacular.  I don't think we'll see it because what I think they should do would cost way too much money.  But since someone asked, here's my suggestion.  I believe they should rehabilitate three steam locomotives, one Southern, one Norfolk & Western, and one Pennsylvania.  Either that or use locomotives that are already in running condition.  I'm not saying restart the excursion program.  We know in the modern business world that won't work anymore, but the company could write off part of the expense of operating public relations trains.  For example, why not allow something like the 475 to barnstorm the system, pulling three for four N&W coaches, and have them stop along the way and have history classes for the kids.  That way they can be in the train, but not "ride" it.  Have one train for each of the three railroads, or even better, have a coach dedicated to each of the predecessor roads, but that
 would be quite a few.  It's just an idea...

Ben Blevins